We do the best we can to ensure the safety of our family in our house, whether it’s installing an alarm system to making sure that there are no electrical problems in the house. However, there are dangers that we cannot see, and one of the prominent silent killers in our homes is carbon monoxide or also known as CO gas. According to experts, carbon monoxide kills at least 430 individuals in the United States per year. This is why we understand the risks of being exposed to this gas.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless and older less gas that is created by a sudden illness or by fire. It is specifically created when wood, or charcoal, and gas burn in certain spaces. Carbon monoxide is produced in different ways including your furnace gas lanterns, stove, any kerosene-powered gadgets. Although it is natural that fires replace oxygen with carbon monoxide, the gas level in a tight space can lead to massive damage. When living organisms such as humans or animals breathe in carbon monoxide, the oxygen in the body would be replaced by carbon monoxide, and too much carbon monoxide and less oxygen in the body would lead the poisoning.
What are the things to do to ensure safety? First, ensure that you have a well-conditioned furnace. We mentioned that issues or damages in your furnace can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. It is extremely important to ensure that all of your gadgets and appliances, not just your furnace, are in good condition. Heating repair Englewood is advised when you have problems in your furnace. Call other repair services for other appliance and house damages. Second, hire a professional to install a carbon monoxide detector. Third, if there is a power outage, avoid using any gas-powered appliances for heating your house. Fourth, even when the garage door is open, avoid leaving your car running especially when the garage is connected to your house. It is important to follow all of these precautions to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.
But, how can you tell if you have already been poisoned by carbon monoxide? it is important to take note that poisoning from carbon monoxide can range from mild to severe. However, the following are the common symptoms:
- chest pain
- lost of breath
Carbon monoxide can also have significant effects on a person’s mental state. The following are the symptoms of someone’s shift in behavior because of carbon monoxide:
- Vision problems
- sudden clumsiness
- extreme mood swings
- personality change
- flawed and confused judgment
Little but prolonged exposure to carbon monoxide may not lead to death but can have long-term effects such as brain damage, memory loss, difficulty in concentrating, and even permanent hearing and vision loss.
If you suspect carbon monoxide leaking in your house, call immediately a professional to fix the problem and go see a doctor. Carbon monoxide treatment is always available. It is important that you speed up the process of house repair and speed up the process of carbon monoxide treatment to avoid serious problems that can be permanent.